Friday, January 8, 2010

The Essentials: Amy Winehouse



Our report this week zones in on Amy Winehouse. I am in love with her in every way. I think the tragedy of her is brilliant. I love that she is messy and sloppy and vulnerable. It's honest and real. No matter how much of a car accident she is to watch you can't deny that chick can sing. A little Jewish girl with the voice of an old Black woman; something about that is so charming.  Here now are 'The Essentials' of Amy Winehouse. If you don't know nothing about this right here.... Honey, nevermind!




First up, is "Fuck Me Pumps" circa 2007. It makes me laugh and cringe at the same time. As a young teen hell-raiser I had moments like the ones in this song and as a woman I have seen some of these scenarios play out amongst my sister circle of friends....Don't judge!! Y'all all done did some hoe shit!







Our second record is one of my faves cause it's just so fun and cute. It reminds me of the time I spent as a commuter, this was one of my favorite ''get me through this 2 hour bus ride'' songs... "Valerie"






 Of course "Back to Black" is the record that broke her here in the States and made her a household name but really it gave us if you listen carefully our first glimpse into the tormented soul that is Amy.






 "Me & Mr. Jones" is a high point in my opinion in Amy's catalog because it's not just the typical guys are jerks song... The play on words, the concept, the delivery as they say in her homeland is  'Fuckin' Brilliant'


No comments:

Post a Comment