Friday, January 8, 2010

The Essentials: Lady GaGa


This time we go in on Lady GaGa. Say what you want about chick but she is definitely what the game has been missing. The devil incarnate of David Bowie, Andy Warhol, Madonna, and drag queens in general she brings to the game what most people have yet to.... The hype and the hope with the chops to back it up. Whether making a devastating fashion statement; Or putting on a eyebrow raising performance, she never disappoints. Unlike a lot of the recent insurgence of pop-tarts she is a songwriter, singer with a tangible vocal range, and responsible for her art in the most literal of ways. Here my Mavenettes are 'the essentials' of Lady GaGa's catalog and history. If you don't know nothing about this..... Honey, nevermind...






Our first offering is her video for "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" I love this song and have covered/performed it twice. It speaks to me as a person in the crest of my 20's when every night is a mess... In the best way. It definitely reminds me of my college days in L.A.





Next we have "Poker Face" I don't have much to say about this one just because my love for it was beaten to death by repeated playings. Thanks, roomie ;o)




These 2 joints by far is are my faves... I think this is really when I got into her... "Fashion" brought back the fun and frivolousness of being blessed with the X chromosome. "Starstruck" had me eager to experiment with different mixtures of sounds in my own music








Lastly we have her performance at 2009 MTV VMA's.While others scoffed, I think it was brilliant. In the wake of the year that saw the death of Micheal Jackson, the assault of Rihanna, the divorce of Madonna and the crucifixion of Chris Brown it seemed like the paparazzi ( which is Italian for "pest") was a star in their own right. She did in this performance what we the public and the paparazzi do to our beloved artists. Chewed it up.... And spit it out; right in our faces...


No comments:

Post a Comment