Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Essentials: Drake- New Classic

  I'll be posting this about twice a month; Highlighting the best visual, musical or performance points in the catalogs or history of some of the leaders in this generation in entertainment.

Our first entry is Drake. I believe whole-heartedly without a doubt he is the next. I know, I know, call me a Kool-Aid drinker whatever you want but Lil' Wayne is the smartest mothasukka I know for signing this cat. That's a life-time insurance policy right there. I mean now that Wayne is going to spend his 2010 in jail; Do you really think that the illustrious Gudda Gudda is gonna be able to hold down the fort?..... Ummm... YEAH  So here are "The Essentials" of Drake, if you don't know nothing about this right here.... Honey, Nevermind!

  This gem is from his first mixtape " Room for Improvement" released in 2007 A joint called "S.T.R.E.S.S."





The next 'essential' is from his second mixtape " Comeback Season" This is the start of the "overnight celebrity" in this joint he teams up with my future baby father Trey Songz for what Jay-Z and R. Kelly couldn't do. "Replacement Girl"- Get into it!






This by far is one of my favorite verses by Wayne: I smile every time I hear that stomping like a Sigma line (You know who you are, Mr. Scorpio!)  and absolutely one of my favorite Drake verses. It's also one of the only Jeezy verses I can stomach. Needless to say they all ATE on this track, beastly indeed, entirely too cunt for words.... "I'm Goin' In" *starts jiggin' at computer* :o)



And last but not least one of my favorites off of the mixtape that tipped the scales "So Far Gone"
He took all of the sensibilities of the New Classic Greats ( Jay-Z, Kanye, Common, Pharrell) and made a great mixtape that represents a generation wholly no matter where you're from. It's also where he showcased his singing talents. Though I always thought he was a cutie.... This is also the song that aided in ending my love affair with Scorpio men.... "Sooner Than Later" While everyone else was trippin' off " Best I Ever Had" this was my summer smoke-out joint....


No comments:

Post a Comment